Luscombe Castle was designed by John Nash in 1800, for the banker Charles Hoare. The chapel, by Sir George Gilbert Scott, was added in 1862. Pevsner describes it as ‘Plain outside; inside Scott’s solid early Gothic, with apsidal east end and sexpartite vault, and a north arcade sumptuously adorned with marble shafts to the piers and carved capitals.’ He also mentions the ‘Good stained glass’, but makes no comment on the elaborate metalwork which is such an attractive feature of the interior.
Find further information at the British Listed Buildings website.
Note: Luscombe Castle is a private home and is not open to the public. However, the grounds and chapel are usually opened two or three times a year to raise funds for local charities.